Bachelor of Music Education students are rigorously trained in the skills needed to become a K-12 music teacher. Our students study performance with nationally recognized music faculty, as well as pedagogy from professors with extensive experience as public school teachers. Throughout their degree, students receive hands-on experience by interning at some of the top K-12 programs in Oklahoma.
TU Music Education graduates are qualified to teach general music in grades K-12 as well as their choice of secondary instrumental or vocal music. Our graduates become successful teachers around Tulsa, Oklahoma, and beyond. For Bachelor of Music Education graduates that have sought employment in K-12 schools, we boast nearly a 100% job placement rate.
So, what’s my degree?
A bachelor of music education major is a professional degree for students pursuing a major in instrumental/general or vocal/general music education.
Why study music education at The University of Tulsa?
- We have nearly a 100% job placement.
- BME students get individualized instruction in both n both music performance and teaching practices.
- Smaller classes allow students to have more hands-on teaching experience.
- BME Students develop excellent musicianship, breadth of knowledge in general education, and a thorough grounding in music teaching methods.
- BME students are able intern with some of the top music programs in Oklahoma.
Do my interests fit?
Our music education students typically have interests in:
- Music Teaching
- Music Performance
- Music Composition
- Music Management
- Piano Pedagogy
- Music Theory, Musicology, and Ethnomusicology
What kind of career could I pursue?
- Public Schools
- Private Schools
- Music Lessons
The University of Tulsa School of Music is a fully accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Music.
School of Music Handbook