The Department offers a three-pronged objective for student outcomes:
- Focused training in the arts and crafts of acting, directing, writing, design and/or technology for those intending to enter the highly competitive business of professional theatre;
- In-depth inquiry into the practical, theoretical and historical aspects of theatre for those intending to attend graduate school;
- Foundational awareness through a broad spectrum of coursework for those for whom theatre will be a lifelong personal enrichment as attendee, patron or occasional participant.
The core of theatre study is collaboration. At TU, this cooperative approach fuels the creative process and is the heart of a student-focused liberal arts education.
Training in the Department of Theatre, Musical Theatre & Dance promotes:
- Communication and critical thinking skills;
- Working knowledge of all aspects of the profession;
- Inquisitiveness and imaginative engagement with the world;
- The tools to develop a strong personal aesthetic and sense of self;
- Artistic initiative and risk-taking founded on a passion for creative expression;
- Social engagement through active contributions to the community.