Every year this competition takes place in the form of a concert performance, and the public is invited and encouraged to attend free of charge. TU student composers will be competing, and there will also be performances of the winning high school compositions. Three professional composers will judge the competition. The winners and prizes will be announced at the end of the competition once the judging is completed.
General Criteria for Judging
- Skillful manipulation of musical materials, demonstrating craftsmanship, originality and imagination.
- Idiomatic use of instruments; writing specifically suited for instruments.
- Effective text setting, if a vocal composition.
- Structural integrity.
- Appropriate and legible score and parts preparation.
Performance Resources Available
One to five instruments/vocalists from among the following:
- Flute/piccolo, one player
- One oboe
- One clarinet in Bb
- One saxophone
- One bassoon
- One or two trumpets
- One (French) horn
- One trombone
- One tuba
- One percussionist, including timpani
- One or two violins
- One viola
- One cello
- One string bass
- One each of soprano, alto, tenor, or bass voice