Activist. Creative director. Critic. Journalist. Media scholar. Producer. Publicist. Your dream career in media awaits you. Welcome to the Department of Media Studies.
Our students prepare for careers in the 21st century world of media through invaluable coursework and hands-on experience that blends media theory and history, creative and critical production, public relations and advertising, journalism and multimedia storytelling and other fields.
Our students …
- Take innovative curriculum with nationally recognized media scholars
- Produce videos and podcasts with TU’s student-run multimedia lab, TUTV
- Write and edit for the student-run newspaper, The Collegian
- Compete in national student advertising competitions
- Study abroad and under leading industry mentors in Tulsa
- Try out media careers as interns at local and national outlets
- Build career-launching portfolios with tailored senior projects
- Graduate into media careers and postgraduate studies in cities such as Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, St. Louis, Chicago, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., and New York City,
- And much more.
Our department does not simply prepare graduates for the working world. We provide pathways that launch alumni toward well-lit careers and better lives in a highly mediated world. These pathways seek to synthesize critical theory and creative practice at every turn, integrating the best of classical liberal arts education and multiple modes of media engagement. Our courses immerse students in
- Interdisciplinary learning
- Critical thinking
- Historical contexts
- Theoretical frameworks
- Pre-professional experience
- Engagement with the broader mediated world.